Hemp In Home Decor: 33 Inspiring Ideas
Interior designers, home decorators, and even homeowners themselves are using cannabis to decorate and beautify homes. From kitchens to bedrooms, living and dining rooms, baths and laundry, and even hallways are adorned with cannabis to create a stunning look.
Imagine you wake up one morning and read this as your newspaper headline. You check the date in the newspaper. Is it the first of April? It sure sounds like a joke, isn’t it?
Well, it isn’t.
People are actually using hemp fabric (from the plant Cannabis Sativa) for home decor.
Hemp in home decor sounds cool, right?
Well, other than sounding cool, it is also good for you and the environment. Hemp is biodegradable, takes less water, land, and labor, and no chemicals or pesticides, and has a better yield than other fabrics, like, say, cotton.
Plus, it is mold and mildew resistant and has in-built UV protection. It is anti-bacterial and breathable too. This means using more hemp home décor would also keep your home safe, healthy, and sustainable.
Okay, enough of all that. But how can one actually use hemp fabric for home decor without messing up things? Or worse, looking like a wannabe interior designer trying to just randomly jump on a trend?
Here are some (well, plenty!) simple tips for using hemp fabric to decorate every room in your house. Get started right away…
Your bedroom is the most personal space in your home. For your bedroom, pick hemp fabric in colors that you like the most and the ones that don’t give off any negative vibes.
- Use a piece of hemp fabric to create curtains around your bed. Hang them from the center of the bed towards the four corners or bedposts. Pick cool, comfortable colors that are pleasing to the eye. Hemp is a breathable fabric, so keeping your bed covered with it would not make your feel congested.
- Go for a mix of colors, patterns, and styles when it comes to pillow covers.
- If you have a study table in your bedroom or a designated corner where you have set up a home office, use hemp fabric to create curtains for dividing the areas.
- Love breakfast in bed with BAE? Turn your old and boring tray into something funky and cool by wrapping different hemp fabric pieces around it. Tie-Dye print would be a great option for this.
- You can also line your dresser drawers with hemp fabric. Hemp is antibacterial and antimicrobial also, so you can rest assured that it would keep your drawers safe from unwanted elements.
- You can also cover up your nightstand and dresser with colorful hemp fabric to give it a unique look and keep it safe from the dust that might settle on it.
- If you are a fan of an elaborate headboard but don’t have one, hemp fabric can help you here as well. Just take a long piece of cloth and hang it at the back. Go for subtle colors if you want a calming vibe. But if you are looking for a dash of drama, you can look for bold prints and solid shades.
- Care for a sturdy DIY hammock chair in your bedroom balcony? Hemp has a tensile strength three times as much as cotton. Select prints and styles that catch your eye and make a quick hammock chair. [YouTube is full of tutorial videos that you can refer to to make your own hemp hammock.]
- You can also make bed skirts with hemp fabric and velcros. And you don’t even have to worry about maintaining that because hemp is an easy-to-care-for fabric. And it doesn’t shrink in cold water.
Bath and Laundry
Not many guests will see your bath and laundry room, but you still need it to look good because you’d be spending at least some part of your day here.
- Sewing your own laundry basket with hemp fabric won’t take much time, and it will create a colorful corner in your laundry room. If you already have a laundry basket, you can wrap the fabric around it to give it a quick upgrade.
- Don’t want guests who use your bathroom to see the unsightly laundry area? Create a quick partition using hemp fabric. And because hemp dries quickly, you don’t have to worry about accidentally splashing your separator curtains.
- You can also cover the area below your pedestal sink. This will hide the pipes and also give you some space to store bathroom essentials.
- You can also make shower curtains with hemp fabric. Their quick-dry quality will come in handy here as well.
The room where life is – the living room deserves your most creative ideas, and the best of hemp fabrics, colors, and patterns should be used here.
- Empty walls make your living room dull and lackluster. Hang colorful or printed pieces of hemp fabric to get your own quick and easy wall art.
- Want to create an accent wall but don’t want to commit to one color of wall paint for long? Hang a large piece of hemp fabric covering the entire wall. You can keep changing the hanging fabric and make sure your accent wall reflects your current mood. If the fabric gets dirty due to exposure to dust, you can wash it in cold water (hemp doesn’t shrink in cold water) and reuse it again (hemp dries naturally and quickly).
- If you have wooden frames for photos or artworks in your living room, you can wrap its borders in hemp. If the photo or artwork is black and white or not too vibrant, a brightly colored piece of hemp fabric will create a striking contrast.
- If you have an empty wall, wrap canvases of different sizes in hemp fabric and hang them to fill up space. If the wall gets sunlight, hemp will absorb UV rays and protect you and your housemates from harm.
- You can also create a giant rug for your living room. Hemp’s durability will make sure that the rug lasts long and you don’t have to spend on the same thing again and again.
- If you like exquisite style, try going Morrocan by hanging hemp fabric on a rod above your sofa or deewan.
- Create an indoor canopy by hanging hemp fabric from the ceiling. Tie-dye fabrics would look really cool and classy in the form of a canopy.
- Make a floor pillow with a long piece of hemp fabric. It can be a pet bed or you can use it yourself.
- Use a hemp-wool blend to create your own comfy ottoman for sitting in the sun.
- Create some no-sew envelope pillows with a hemp fabric piece that has been blended with linen or cotton. You can also tie a hemp scarf over your throw pillows to give a boho look to your room.
Hemp will make sure your meals aren’t dull, drab, and boring anymore. The right fabric thrown in at the right place will make your munch times more exciting.
- Make textured placemats with hemp-cotton blend fabric.
- Get hemp tea towels. Some colorful options that we found online from Hemp Foundation would look really attractive.
3. Create a DIY table runner with a long piece of hemp fabric. Either go for a hemp-silk blend for a rich look or a hemp-linen/cotton blend for a more informal look.
4. You can also tie a hemp scarf to the back of your dining chairs to give them a vibrant look.
Entry and Hallway
because first impressions matter the most.
- Because hemp is an extremely strong and durable fabric, it can be used to create a sturdy basket for essentials like keys by the door.
- You can use sewing rings to frame hemp fabric in the hallway. Fabric pieces with embroidery or beautiful prints should be preferred for it.
The kitchen is the powerhouse of energy in your house. Decorate it right to keep the entire house in good spirit.
- Go for no-sew curtains to add a pop of color to a dull and bland window. DIY hemp curtains will save you from unwanted sunlight and its harmful UV rays as well.
- Get a bunch of tea towels, like some beautiful pieces from Hemp Foundation, and hang them around your kitchen. Create a pattern or go contrast.
- Use small pieces of hemp fabric to make potholders or skillet handle covers.
- Line your kitchen cabinets with a popping piece of hemp cloth.
Where to Begin?
If you are going to redecorate your entire house with hemp fabric-based home decor, you’d need a lot of different types and styles of hemp fabrics for different places. Instead of heading to the store every now and then (and still not getting everything that you want!), you can order your hemp fabric swatch book from Hemp Foundation.
The swatch book includes over 50 hemp fabric samples that you can see, touch, and feel for yourself before deciding which ones you want for your home. From embroidered hemp fabric to knit, pure options, and blends, they have a lot for you to choose from depending on your style preferences and needs.
With hemp fabric sourced from Hemp Foundation, you will be able to bring home the goodness of hemp as well as the goodness of good deeds. That’s because you will be helping some hemp farming families in Uttrakhand. The Indian Himalayan Region (IHR) is slowly regaining life with the help of companies like Hemp Foundation, which provide the locals, especially women, a sustainable way of earning and living independently with pride.
Bring home hemp, help someone, and let your home glow with goodness.